By now, after months of hard work, you will understand and appreciate the dedication required to secure your first job or next career move... We didn't say it would be easy and it can be tough to jump the hurdles and make it past the finish line.
To give you some up to date context before we (hopefully) dispel your job woes, take a look at the stats below we read, in Personnel Today yesterday. Their article highlights some recent figures about online job hunting (stats courtesy of Total Jobs). The facts, in short, are as follows (brace yourself!)
- There is on average approx 18 applications per job (this varies from industry to industry)
- There has been a reported 1% year-on-year increase in job availability but...
- A whopping 15% increase in job applicants
Our main tip is all about networking and making the most of your online resources. Technology has transformed the way we work and communicate; therefore it is the prime time for you to use this to your advantage:
- Set up a Twitter account - Stay ahead of the trends and follow people in your chosen industry. There are also various recruiters and job searchers in this forum who post new jobs all the time. For example, Right Management's own expert job researcher Andrew can be found @researchah
- Get LinkedIn - In short LinkedIn is the professional answer to Facebook! Join groups as well as friend's, make the most of their growing network to build contacts. Answer questions on forums to broaden your profile. Join groups, companies and interest areas that will help you develop.
- Network and be visible - Connect with friends, family and part time colleagues. Talk about your work (or desired work area). This means offline too.
This is just a starting point. If you are hooked up to all of these already, then just keep going - and go some more! With tenacity and a professional and intelligent approach, you could soon be feeling proud at the email which confirms you have landed that first job...
For more support and guidance with your job search and on starting a new career, please contact us for a FREE copy of the GradGuide2010.